El Camino RealCalifornia Mission Walkers
Ancient footpaths became connecting routes between the Spanish missions, pueblos, and presidios in the period 1769 to 1823. Over time these routes became automobile roadways and were marked with bells starting in 1906 to promote and preserve the El Camino Real. Today, the California Mission Walk follows a pedestrian route through urban cities and historic towns, through forest paths and country lanes, to each of the twenty-one historic Spanish missions.
This 800 mile pilgrimage can be walked in one continuous thru-hike (which takes 54 days), or it can be walked in segments for a week (or a weekend) at a time over a year or more. Some prefer to walk alone, while others enjoy the company of other mission walkers.
Most Mission Walkers typically walk from South to North, starting at the first California mission in San Diego, and ending at the last mission in Sonoma. Others prefer to walk from North to South. Some walkers choose to split the route, making two pilgrimages to Carmel, one from the North, and then another from the South, ending both pilgrimages at the burial site of St. Junípero Serra.
- Mission San Diego de Alcalá, in San Diego
- Mission San Luis Rey de Francia, in Oceanside
- Mission San Juan Capistrano, in San Juan Capistrano
- Mission San Gabriel Arcángel, in San Gabriel
- Mission San Fernando Rey de España, in Mission Hills
- Mission San Buenaventura, in Ventura
- Mission Santa Barbara, in Santa Barbara
- Mission Santa Inés, in Solvang
- Mission La Purísima Concepción, northeast of Lompoc
- Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa, in San Luis Obispo
- Mission San Miguel Arcángel, in San Miguel
- Mission San Antonio de Padua, northwest of Jolon
- Mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad, in Soledad
- Mission San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo, in Carmel
- Mission San Juan Bautista, in San Juan Bautista
- La Misión de la Exaltación de la Santa Cruz, in Santa Cruz
- Mission Santa Clara de Asís, in Santa Clara
- Mission San José, in Fremont
- Mission San Francisco de Asís (Mission Dolores), in San Francisco
- Mission San Rafael Arcángel, in San Rafael
- Mission San Francisco Solano, in Sonoma
Mission Walkers Welcome Here
Mission Walkers support businesses along the El Camino Real that display the “Mission Walkers Welcome Here” window decal.
The California Mission Walkers recognize and appreciate these establishments for welcoming us as we walk the 800-mile journey along the historic El Camino Real.
- McGregor’s Bar & Grill – 10475 San Diego Mission Rd, San Diego (Day #1)
- En Fuego Cantina & Grill – 1342 Camino Del Mar, Del Mar (Day #2)
- Buona Forchetta – 250 N Coast Hwy 101, Encinitas (Day #3)
- San Luis Rey Bakery & Restaurant – 490 N El Camino Real, Oceanside (Day #4)
- Beyond The Baguette – 3751 S Harbor Blvd, Santa Ana (Day #8)
- The Night Owl Coffee Shop – 200 N Harbor Blvd, Fullerton (Day #9) Ask for a CMW discount!
- Dos Rios Tavern on the Green – 3260 Fairway Dr, Pico Rivera (Day #10)
- Lunas Mexican Cuisine – 343 S Mission Dr, San Gabriel (Day #11)
- Cindy’s Eagle Rock Restaurant – 1500 Colorado Blvd, Los Angeles (Day #12) Ask for a free CMW iced tea!
- Peirano’s Italian restaurant – 204 E Main St, Ventura (Day #17)
- El Rancho Market – 2886 Mission Dr, Solvang (Day #21)
- King Frederik Inn – 1617 Copenhagen Dr, Solvang (Day #21)
- Mother Hubbard’s Restaurant – 373 Avenue Of The Flags, Buellton (Day #21)
- Tom’s Burgers – 115 E College Ave, Lompoc (Day #22)
- A Vital Touch Day Spa – 731 Shell Beach Rd, Shell Beach (Day #26) Ask for a CMW discount!
- 15c Wine and Coffee Shop – 624 S Main St, Templeton (Day #28)
- The Bradley House AirBnB – 65775 Bradley Road, Bradley (Day #30)
- Toro Place Cafe – 665 Monterey Salinas Hwy, Salinas (Day #38)
- San Juan Bakery & Grocery – 319 Third St, San Juan Bautista (Day #43)
- JJ’s Homemade Burgers – 100 The Alameda, San Juan Bautista (Day #43)
- Aromas Grill – 304 Carpinteria Rd, Aromas (Day #44)
- Auntie Mame’s Cafe – 3103 Scotts Valley Drive, Santa Cruz (Day #46)
- Tara Firma Farms – 3796 I Street, Petaluma (Day #55)
If your business would like to participate, see our flyer for details.